Get Job Recommendations
With just 1 click and a connection with LinkedIn, you can receive job listings that best match your previous positions.Get recommendations
Civil (Geotechnical) Engineer Intern
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is a leading mining and natural resources company. Founded in 1847, we are recognized as the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, we expect to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (“HBI”) in the Great Lakes region with the development of our first production plant in Toledo, Ohio. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency.
Each of our sites offers a variety of internship opportunities. Our current site locations include:
Support various departments and complete several special projects and initiatives.
Sample Past Projects:
· Participate in regular site planning meetings and conference calls with site staff
· Take notes during project update or monthly meetings for distribution
· Collection and systematic reporting of site operating metrics related to projects
· Construction and/or plant operating production reconciliation per monthly metrics
· Civil-3D computer aided design and layout of site civil earthwork projects
· Spreadsheet and/or CAD based development of construction payment volumes
· Field survey work including GPS & data transfer for planning and design layouts
· Use and interpretation of field survey data into CAD terrain models for planning & design
· Coordinate activities of outside vendors and 3rd party contractors as directed
· Conduct various tests and mapping activities as requested by site engineers
· Operations water balance monitoring of ponds, reservoirs, and associated hydraulic works.
· Provide timely updates to site operations staff on various projects and ongoing initiatives
· Enter data provided by 3rd party vendors or site technicians into project tracking spreadsheets
· Filing and record keeping of project documentation drawings and reports as directed
· Other duties as assigned by the Planning and Engineering staff
Education Requirements: Candidate must be enrolled in an accredited school or university and currently pursuing a degree in Civil Engineering or other related field with interests in Civil-Geotechnical, earthwork construction, and surveying/construction.
Experience Requirements: No previous experience required, previous internship experience preferred
· Ability to work in various environments – rain, heat, humidity, etc.
· Strong writing skills
· Strong interpersonal communication skills
· Well-developed, superb organizational skills
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook
· Familiarity with CAD and other similar software tools
· Able to multi-task and set proper priorities
Founded in 1847, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota.
By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency.
Ready to seek your newest professional adventure? Explore our range of opportunities and join us at Cliffs.
Cleveland-Cliffs offers opportunities for high-performing individuals in a myriad of technical and professional disciplines. Whether in the field or office, Cliffs fosters an environment that empowers our employees to achieve their highest potential. Regardless of the location, employees will be presented with a challenging and rewarding environment. A competitive compensation package, opportunities for advancement and work-life balance all lead to a positive, passionate career at Cleveland-Cliffs.