|Location:||Toledo, OH||Country:||United States||Job Code:||2979||Position Type:||Hourly|
Founded in 1847,
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a
major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located
in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the
Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of
safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with
operating and financial transparency. For more information, visithttp://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity
with Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back
Operator is responsible for monitoring, maintaining, and operating various equipment across the site on a
rotating shift basis. This role is responsible for one or multiple areas including the furnace, briquetting, water
treatment, and materials loading and unloading. This role interacts with the control room, maintenance,
engineering, and contractors related to the effective operations of the site
Specific Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Ensure adherence to safety
standards and maintain equipment and surrounding areas in good condition to sustain its uninterrupted
equipment including, but not limited to – conveyor belts, pumps, air blowers, compressors, scrubbers, dust
collectors, briquetters, stackers, reclaimers, rail loadout, reagent systems, clarifiers, thickeners, pipelines,
water treatment plant, overhead crane, and various pieces of mobile equipment such as front end loaders, skid
steer, and forklifts.
- Recognize and coach others on
upset conditions, determine cause and then take the appropriate corrective action.
- Identify operating
irregularities, troubleshoot, and correct equipment performance or sufficiently relay details to craft, control
room, and supervisory personnel.
- Collect process and cargo samples
for laboratory analysis.
- Perform safe isolation of
operating equipment from energy sources such that maintenance activities can take place.
- Perform minor maintenance where
trained, such as, replace idlers, scrapers and skirting, replace auto lubricators and lubricate equipment, adjust
pump packing, chute repairs, minor plumbing, cutting and welding, field temperature checks.
- Assist Mechanical and Electrical
maintenance personnel where required.
- Accurately follow procedures,
record data, create required reports, and provide timely feedback of field process conditions to control room and
written and/or verbal turnover information to oncoming crew members.
- Reasonable aptitude and
experience with adjusting machinery as well as articulating problems to maintenance crew.
- Train and acquaint entry level
operators within different areas in the plant and mobile plant equipment.
- Assist in the direction of
operators and fill in as Supervisor where required.
- Train as and fill in as the
Control Room Operator as needed.
- High school diploma or GED
- 2-year degree from an accredited vocational/technical school
- 10+ years related operating
experience in an industrial environment
- Basic mechanical maintenance
experience in a control room preferred
- Skid steer, front end loader, forklift operational knowledge
- Team player with the ability to work collaboratively
- Positive, high energy, and
- Ability to multitask, perform under stressful conditions, and respond and adapt in changing
- The ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to read and comprehend equipment
manuals and procedures
- Ability to write and correct operational procedures
- Proficient on computers
including Microsoft Office suite of programs, including Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
- Mobility required. Must be able to handle stairs and long periods of work on your feet
exposed to plant environment including noise, dust, dirt and vibrations, extreme climate changes / changes in
- Occasionally lifting up to 50lbs
- Ability to work at heights
- Availability as needed
to work on both a scheduled and call-out basis, and the ability to work at the assigned job site
- Willing to work shift work and assist in other areas of
department or site as needed