|Location:||Toledo, OH||Country:||United States||Job Code:||2980||Position Type:||Hourly|
Founded in 1847,
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a
major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located
in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the
Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of
safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with
operating and financial transparency. For more information, visithttp://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity
with Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back
The Maintenance – Mechanical
Technician is responsible for performing mechanical maintenance on processing plant equipment, requiring
full craftsman skill. This position works with and assists other Maintenance - Welders and Operators in the repair
of fixed plant assets including unplanned and preventative maintenance activities.
Specific Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Safely and competently
perform repairs on a wide variety of equipment, piping, pumps, process fans, motors, hydraulic systems, compressors, ventilation fans, air receivers, conveyor installations, chutes, etc.
inboth inside and outdoor applications in a continuous operating environment.
- Erect, inspect, dismantle, overhaul, clean, service, repair, adjust, test, assemble, and
lubricate machinery and equipment.
- Perform rebuilds of rotating equipment including setting bearings to
manufacturer tolerances and performing drive train alignment using laser alignment tools.
- Read, understand, and execute
work based on work orders, standard jobs, blue prints, sketches, maintenance manuals, and other documents related
to the Engineering specifications.
- Receive verbal and/or written instructions from Supervision in
the form of work orders, permits to work, hot work, confined space, and isolation procedures tosafely complete work, including paper
work, and feedback to Supervision on execution of tasks.
- Perform basic welding and be willing and interested in
learning additional skills beyond traditional mechanic skills to become a cross-functional crafts-person.
- Perform troubleshooting, identify and select and/or communicate to planning correct tools and materials for
ad-hoc or unplanned maintenance activities.
- Provide technical advice, quality control, problem solving,
troubleshooting, and repair recommendations.
- Understand consequences of equipment failure and repair errors. Participate in defect
elimination and continuous improvement processes.
- Operate equipment for
testing purposes. Analyze mechanical failures and determine repairs.
- Safely perform basic rigging using slings, chain falls, and other common lifting
- Operate drill presses, threading machines,
and cut-off saws as required.
- Operate trucks, forklifts,
cranes, and elevated work platforms as required to facilitate work. Work in shop or field as
- Splice, patch, and vulcanize belts as
- Inspect and keep tools and work area in
clean and orderly condition.
- Prepare and provide reports
- Associates Degree or 2-year technical school
degree/certification or completion of an apprenticeship program. May consider equivalent experience.
- Journeyman card, certification and/or 5+ years of skilled trades mechanical maintenance work, experience
in a manufacturing or heavy industrial environment
- Computerized Maintenance
Management System (CMMS) experience; Ellipse preferred
- Microsoft Office experience
(Excel, Word, etc.)
- Understanding of shop
mathematics with the use of drawings, specifications, charts, tables, and precision measuring instruments
- Strong mechanical aptitude preferably with experience in pipe materials, specifications, fittings, seals,
water piping/pumping systems, compressible fluid piping/pumping systems, welding, conveying equipment,
gearing/bearings/power transmission, rigging/iron working,machining procedures, tolerances, use of
power/hydraulic tools, high temperature refractory clipping, and refractory
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and effectively manage multiple/changing
- Ability to read and understand mechanical drawing sets
including general arrangements, exploded views, bill of materials (BOM), welding procedures, material and piping
- Ability to interpret maintenance
- Basic understanding of lubricant types and
applications for industrial equipment
communicate both orally and through written text
- Occasionally lifting up to 50lbs.
- Mobility required. Must be able to handle stairs and long periods of work on your
- Routinely exposed to plant environment including
noise, dust, dirt and vibrations, extreme climate changes / changes in weather
- Work at heights
- Willing to work
shift work and assist in other areas of department or site as needed