|Location:||Ishpeming, MI||Country:||United States||Job Code:||2641||Position Type:||Salary|
Founded in 1847,
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a
major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located
in Michigan and Minnesota. Additionally, we operate an iron ore mining complex in Western Australia. By 2020,
Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development
of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and
capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency.
For more information, visithttp://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with
Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back
Public Affairs Representative is responsible for promoting and maintaining a positive public image for
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. through internal and external communications and media outreach.
role is also responsible for direct involvement with regional stakeholders such as community leaders and
organizations, government officials and Cliffs’ employees.
Specific Duties/Essential Functions:
- Supports the development and execution of Corporate initiatives
related to public affairs, community relations, environment, annual reports, quarterly reports and other related
- Develops strong relationships with
corporate staff and management related to internal and external communications.
- Develops, manages, implements communications strategies and tools
(e.g. speeches, presentations, press releases, Q&As, communication plans, key messages, public and internal
communications, etc.) and organizes media events and interviews. Responds to media inquiries related to operations
and other local issues as appropriate.
- Works with
Corporate Communications as necessary to develop community and/or media messages appropriate for local
- Supports Environmental Department
activities including stakeholder outreach in support of state and federal permitting
- Maintains a strong local Community
Relations program through outreach and presence with local businesses, organizations and all other related
stakeholders. Develops, maintains and increases presence in local communities and schools. This includes local
community, government, environment and educational leaders and stakeholders.
- Works with Cliffs’ government affairs personnel to develop
and maintain relationships with elected officials and others working in local, regional, provincial, state and
- Develops and maintains local
contribution budgets and responds to local requests for company contributions and donations. Works with corporate
public affairs to recommend and develop a strategic contribution plan for Cliffs’ Michigan
- Works with local operations
management to assist and support the development of key internal messages. Reviews and proofs for critical content
in newsletters and/or other publications.
potential issues, develops strategic planning initiatives and leads problem-solving strategies including crisis
- Assists corporate and local
management with public presentations, permit hearings and other general public interface regionally and locally.
Provides public presentations related to Cliffs Michigan Operations when appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Media
or related course of study and/or significant appropriate experience.
- Minimum five years of experience in a public relations, communications or media
- Public, media and community relations experience
including public presentations, event planning and management.
- Experience in government relations, environmental issues and crisis communications is
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with emphasis on
editing skills and public speaking.
Office Suite software experience and proficiency with emphasis on MS Word, MS Power Point & MS
- Basic photography skills including
camera use and photo composition.
- Proven strategic vision,
key idea and message development and implementation
- Ability to understand and work within a technically oriented heavy industry
- Limited travel, occasional evening
and weekend responsibilities.