|Location:||Ishpeming, MI||Country:||United States||Job Code:||2752||Position Type:||Salary|
Founded in 1847,
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a
major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located
in Michigan and Minnesota. Additionally, we operate an iron ore mining complex in Western Australia. By 2020,
Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development
of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and
capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency.
For more information, visithttp://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with
Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back
Cliffs is looking for an experienced, motivated, career
minded individual to fill our Labor Relations Generalist position in our Ishpeming, MI office. The ideal candidate
will have labor relations and contract negotiation experience. Our strength as an organization starts with
selecting the right individuals; this is why we are committed to finding the best and brightest
The Labor Relations Generalist will assist the Section Manager – Labor
Relations in the coordination, administration and management of all aspects of labor relations related to
collective bargaining unit employees to ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreements and federal and
state employment regulations, while providing consultation, training and constructive conflict resolution for and
between company leadership, union leadership and bargaining unit employees.
- Communicate directly with and facilitate communication between company
leadership, operations leadership, union leadership, bargaining unit employees, and internal and contracted legal
counsel on all matters pertaining to bargaining unit employees and the collective bargaining agreements to achieve
business objectives and results.
- Manage, interpret, consult and
resolve conflicts for all processes associated with the negotiated terms of the collective bargaining agreements
within the business unit operations including, but not limited to, the administration of the internal bidding /
bumping process, grievance and disciplinary processes and serve as the local resource for handling complaints
filed with the National Labor Relations Board.
- Develop and provide
training for operations leadership who oversee bargaining unit employees on how to uphold the negotiated terms of
collective bargaining agreements.
- Supporting and implementing
labor relations strategies that are aligned with business unit and corporate initiatives and collective bargaining
- Work with operations, payroll, leave, workers
compensation, safety and human resources functions to ensure the terms of the collective bargaining agreement are
properly adhered to and executed.
- Responsible for managing the
negotiation of memorandum of agreements and the resolution of disputes and complaints between the company and the
union, doing so in partnership with company leadership, human resources and assigned internal and external legal
- Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in Human Resources or related
- Masters of Labor Relations or Juris Doctorate Degree a
- 5 years of labor relations and contract negotiation
- Formal conflict mediation experience or training
preferred but not required.
- Demonstrates advanced problem solving,
conflict resolution and interpersonal communication skills with a wide range of internal and external
- Have a thorough understanding of labor laws and the
entities that govern them (NLRB, DOL, EEOC, etc.)
- Have excellent
organizational skills and be able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates a high-level of social and emotional intelligence.
- Be a self-starter and have the ability to work independently or on
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the Company’s
policies and procedures; complies with and applies policies and procedures appropriately.
- Keeps current with and effectively applies new work methods, skills and technologies to
- Ability to assesses situations accurately and
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, Access and Outlook.
- Ability to learn and/or experience
with HRIS systems.
- Familiarity with COBRA, ERISA, HIPPA, FMLA, ADA
and related state and federal laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of
flexible benefit plan administration and web-based delivery of HR services a plus.
- Effective communication skills both oral and written with superiors, colleagues, and
individuals inside and outside of the company.
- Sound knowledge of
safety and environmental regulations
- Demonstrates commitment to
high professional and ethical standards and a diverse workplace.
- Demonstrates appropriate leadership styles in varying circumstances.
- Delivers results with integrity.
appropriate risks, provides candid observations, and influences others.
- Works well with other departments to resolve conflicts and improve communication.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management
- Demonstrates knowledge of human resources principles and
practices and complies with HR policies and standards.
- Must be able to travel for work.
- In years when the Company is negotiating
for a new labor agreement, a 4-6 week assignment offsite should be expected.
- In other years, travel will be
infrequent with a couple days of travel every two months being typical.
- Performs other duties/functions as assigned. Only critical functions of this
job are described above and may be subject to change at any time due to reassignment of duties and
responsibilities, reasonable accommodation and/or other reasons.
Cliffs offers a very competitive salary. A good benefits package is
a valuable part of your total compensation, and we’ve got a great one: medical, dental and vision insurance;
paid sick, vacation and holiday time; tuition reimbursement; retirement plan with match; disability insurance;
life insurance; flexible spending and health savings accounts; an employee assistance program; employee discounts;
Cliffs is an equal opportunity employer.