|Location:||Forbes, MN||Country:||United States||Job Code:||2714||Position Type:||Salary|
Founded in 1847,
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a
major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located
in Michigan and Minnesota. Additionally, we operate an iron ore mining complex in Western Australia. By 2020,
Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development
of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and
capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency.
For more information, visithttp://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with
Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back
PURPOSE- Lead the team in the safe execution of mechanical
maintenance on the Afternoon shift at the Forbes plant
- PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITY
Core Values, and Permission to Operate
- Consistently demonstrate and act in accordance with Cliffs’ Core Values: Safe Production; Customer
Focus; Creating Economic Value; Bias for Action; Trust, Respect, and Open Communication; Group and Individual
Accountability; Integrity; Teamwork; Recognize and Reward Achievement; and Environmental
- Demonstrate safe work practices and lead work safely.
all subordinates have appropriate, timely and documented task training.
- Conduct safety audits,
inspections, and interactions. Prepare action plans to close necessary gaps and work with the Section Manager (SM)
and Safety Team in identifying and mitigating safety risks.
- Work with the Environmental
Team in identifying and mitigating environmental risks, conducting environmental audits, inspections and
observations, and preparing action plans to close the necessary gaps.
- Hold employees accountable
for performing work in a safe, environmentally responsible, and productive manner that meets or exceeds all
company rules, as well as all federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Monitor team’s
understanding and execution of all applicable Quality Standard Operating Procedures (QSOP), and Environmental
Standard Operating Procedures (ESOP).
Production and Quality
- Understand significant deviations from the Section’s Operating Plan:
deviations within your authority and control, and implement sustainable solutions.
deviations that cannot be corrected at your level of authority.
- Monitor team performance
against the plan and schedule.
- Understand the SM’s prioritization of break-in work.Organize
break-in work that is required to meet the department plan. Communicate work prioritization to your
- Identify the training needs for your team and work with HR department to develop a plan
to meet those needs.
- Prioritize work in a way that supports the operating strategy and
enables team members to work according to the role as designed.
- Monitor the team/crew
activities that interface with other teams. Appropriately intervene to resolve any cross team issues. Elevate
issues that cannot be resolved between peers.
- Monitor interactions within the team and intervene
to resolve any issues. Elevate issues that cannot be resolved within your authority.
- Understand how the issue should be addressed according to site employee performance
- Seek HR advice as needed to assure actions do not conflict with Labor Agreement
- Document the issue, findings and resulting actions in the appropriate
- Maximize the effective utilization of your team.
- Make sure the team
understands and has input to the work plan, including risk assessment and mitigation.
stop, start, and break times in accordance with established policies.
- Minimize interruptions and
delays to the planned work of the team.
- Identify and ensure the use of standard work
and/or best practices across the team.
- Continually evaluate work in process to ensure
that suggestions are incorporated as appropriate.
- Gather team feedback about
completed work and implement improvements based on the feedback. Communicate improvements to the team and the SM.
Elevate issues that cannot be resolved within your authority.
- Ensure all maintenance scrap
parts are disposed of prior to job completion and all unused parts or materials are promptly returned to
- Perform post-job inspections to verify cleanup is being accomplished.
- Understand the elements of the Cliffs’ Natural Resources Maintenance Process/Operations Standards
(MPS) and the General Repair Improvement Process (GRIP); execute work in accordance with these standards and
- Identify Operations/Maintenance issues that may affect the department
and either assign actions to correct these issues or elevate to SM.
- Establish and support a work
order completion process; ensure all work orders are completed properly and updated as needed.
work orders and miscellaneous reports to measure maintenance process effectiveness and adjust maintenance
practices as necessary.
- Provide direct supervision of crews and vendors during major
- Lead your team to complete the daily maintenance plan.
feedback to planning and scheduling regarding the quality of the maintenance plan.
- Communicate to the SM any incomplete work from the daily plan.
- Conduct pre-shift meeting to
brief the team on the work schedule, safety concerns, and scope of work.
- Conduct post-shift debrief
with hourlydirect reportsto capture learnings from the completed jobs.
- Eliminate unnecessary overtime costs by managing the team’s work to ensure efficient use of
- Understand key cost drivers within your control, and identify efficiencies to reduce
- Actively manage team consumables (gloves, small tools, safety glasses, etc) to control
Talent and People Management
- Review actual staffing levels vs. required staffing levels. Communicate to SM any requests for changes to
- Participate in the selection/hiring process as requested.
leadership to subordinates, so that they are clear about their role purpose, tasks, boundaries, authorities, and
- Monitor and analyze subordinate performance and provide appropriate and timely
- Provide reward and recognition for performance within the limits set by the
- Manage the social process issues within the team associated with change
- Ensure crew compliance to the site employee performance guidelines (acceptable
standards of conduct).
- Promote constructive employee/labor relations; remain up to date and
ensure full compliance with any applicable collective bargaining agreements and employment laws by partnering with
the HR Department to ensure consistency in execution.
- Assist the SM in the development of personal goal
plan and development plan. Actively engage in personal and professional development.
and approve time cards for direct reports using electronic system.
- ROLE CAPABILITIES
two year degree (technical preferred), or equivalent relevant Maintenance work experience with the commitment to
obtaining a degree.
- 1-5 years of related heavy industry maintenanceexperience.
- Experience/knowledge in maintenance and reliability processes and systems.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement methods.
- Demonstrated writing skills.
- Demonstrated professional presentation
- Proficiency in Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (Work Order, Standard Jobs,
APL’s, Equipment Register, and Scheduling modules).
- Ability to demonstrate how a
particular task is to be done and, if necessary, coach while it is being done.
- Demonstrated effective decision making.
- Proficiency in project management tools and
- Proficiency in computerskills in MS Office (MS
Word, Excel, Project, Power Point).
Social Process Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence people in levels below, peer, and above for effective
short-term and long-term results.
- Proven leadership capability ensuring value by setting clear
expectations, limits and accountabilities to direct reports through: Guidance, instruction, performance standards
and consistency in follow-up and appropriate feedback to performance.
- Professional language used
appropriately on and off the job.
- Demonstrates and fosters the challenging of the status
- Effectively assigns tasks to direct reports, ensuring they are neither over nor under
stretched by the complexities of their work (in flow) - task assignment must remain consistent with the work of
- Conveys an understanding and a sense of value for the quality of work done by direct
reports and its relevant purpose to the organization to provide people in those roles with a rationale for their
- Influences others to achieve organization goals through the creation of a local
environment where individuals and teams are motivated and able to thrive.
- Provides effective,
meaningful, and timely feedback on team and individual performance.
- Demonstrates and rewards
behaviors consistent with the core values of Cliffs
- Values the contribution this role provides to the performance of the site.
an energetic approach to both on-the-job and off-the-job activities and community involvement.
- Demonstrates a passion for leadership through coaching and mentoring of direct reports to provide
guidance for their success.
- Demonstrates energetic leadership through visible personal actions which
influence positive safety behaviors and utilizes the behavior shaping tools available to establish a safe work
- Demonstrates through example the ability to professionally push boundaries, establish
stretch goals and "put oneself on the line."
- Exhibits personal learning experiences in their
career and expresses a desire to continue this learning in scope of therole.
Mental Processing Requirements:
- Ability to respond to the requirements of particular situations, cases, or people in such a way that both
the underlying issues/complexities are dealt with and the normal flow of work is restored.
to provide framework for projects that may take up to3-6 months to complete and evaluate.
- Demonstrates the understanding of the changing needs of internal and external customers, work teams, and
situations and can make adjustments for unforeseen events through the use of individual and physical resources
within their authority.
- Ability to perform analysis from actual data and trends, and provide
recommended solutions including contingencies and alternatives.